WAXHAW, NC – HAPPY FALL, Y’ALL! In the spirit of the Fall Home & Garden Issue, here are Five Tips to keep your home safe and sound and looking good for the rest of the year!
1. Exterior Fixes – Repair & clean your gutters, inspect your roof, check for and fix any wood rot with caulk and / or new wood, and consider painting outside while it’s cool, not cold.
2. System Maintenance – Hire a licensed HVAC contractor to inspect your heating system annually. Change filters in your furnace and make sure the attic is properly insulated.
3. Fall Gardening & Lawn Care – Fall is the perfect time to aerate and a great time to plant Fescue and Rye grasses. Mulch dormant flower beds. Invest in a leaf blower, rake and tarp if you have lots of trees.
4. Pest Control – Check your attics. Bugs & critters love warm insulation when the weather gets cool. Cover attic gables with screens. Next, check kitchen cabinets and appliances. Consider hiring an annual pest service.
5. Safety Checks – Check CO & smoke detectors and change your batteries every Fall. If you have a wood-burning fireplace, have it inspected, as well.
Most importantly, remember safety first when performing DIY and enjoy your home! If you’re considering a move in the next year, let’s discuss the projects that will benefit you the most.
COMING UP: In the next issue, I’ll continue the series, Nine Things to Know to Sell Your Home, with steps four through six.